|Cambridge, Mass. - May 28, 2014 - Genzyme, a Sanofi company (EURONEXT: SAN and NYSE: SNY), today recognizes World MS Day, an initiative developed by the Multiple Sclerosis International Federation (MSIF) to raise awareness of MS and its impact on the lives of more than two million people around the world. With two differentiated MS therapies and a research pipeline focused on innovative approaches to treating the disease, Genzyme has a long-term commitment to the MS community. |
“World MS Day recognizes the significance of MS on a global scale, and it’s an important reminder of the challenges faced by everyone affected by this devastating disease,” said Bill Sibold, Genzyme’s Senior Vice President and Head of MS. “We’re inspired every day by people living MS and the people who care for them, and we’re constantly pushing ourselves to transform what it means to receive an MS diagnosis.”
Genzyme sites around the world are partnering with local patient organizations on a variety of World MS Day activities. Genzyme supports people living with MS through grants and partnerships intended to address a range of unmet needs. This year, the company has provided funding to more than 70 organizations in support of more than 200 patient advocacy projects. Key 2014 grants and partnerships include:
Genzyme is proud to be a sponsor of World MS Day, which this year is focused on access – whether it is access to healthcare, support, work or study, there are many barriers to access that people living with MS face every day. MSIF is collecting “One Day” wishes from the community, to raise awareness about the challenges facing MS patients. Genzyme is participating in this campaign by creating “Wish Walls” at its sites globally, where employees can post their personal wishes. Visit the World MS Day website, www.worldmsday.org, to see wishes from advocates and people living with MS around the world.
- Shift.ms: Genzyme is partnering with this social network, which is focused on reducing isolation and increasing support for people living with MS. The company is sponsoring efforts by Shift.ms to gather information from people with MS in many different parts of the world about their approach to living with the disease, with the goal of enabling members of the community to compare experiences and learn from each other.
- EU Nurse Advisory Board: The goal of this initiative is to increase knowledge about multiple sclerosis among nurses in Europe. Genzyme is partnering with the International Organization of Multiple Sclerosis Nurses and the European Multiple Sclerosis Platform to host a nurse advisory board focused on providing more specialized education for European nurses who care for MS patients. The company has also supported work to translate multiple sclerosis nurse training modules so they may be utilized across the EU.
- “I Ride with MS”: Genzyme is the lead sponsor of the “I Ride with MS” program from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS) which creates awareness of people living with MS who ride in the NMSS’s Bike MS events around the country. The initiative was piloted last year at 15 Bike MS events, and has been expanded this year to include all 100 rides across the United States.
- Swim for MS: In collaboration with the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America, Genzyme is sponsoring this campaign to raise awareness and understanding of water-based exercise programs as a wellness opportunity for the MS community. The program features personal stories from people living with MS about how water activities have impacted their lives.
- MSIF Grants: Genzyme has provided a communications grant to MSIF, which supports upgrades to the organization’s website, newsletters and other publications, to help ensure it is most effectively sharing information with the MS community. Genzyme has also provided a grant to support the MSIF’s World MS Day awareness activities.
About Genzyme, a Sanofi Company
Genzyme has pioneered the development and delivery of transformative therapies for patients affected by rare and debilitating diseases for over 30 years. We accomplish our goals through world-class research and with the compassion and commitment of our employees. With a focus on rare diseases and multiple sclerosis, we are dedicated to making a positive impact on the lives of the patients and families we serve. That goal guides and inspires us every day. Genzyme’s portfolio of transformative therapies, which are marketed in countries around the world, represents groundbreaking and life-saving advances in medicine. As a Sanofi company, Genzyme benefits from the reach and resources of one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, with a shared commitment to improving the lives of patients. Learn more at www.genzyme.com.
Genzyme® is a registered trademark of Genzyme Corporation.
Sanofi, a global healthcare leader, discovers, develops and distributes therapeutic solutions focused on patients’ needs. Sanofi has core strengths in the field of healthcare with seven growth platforms: diabetes solutions, human vaccines, innovative drugs, consumer healthcare, emerging markets, animal health and the new Genzyme. Sanofi is listed in Paris (EURONEXT: SAN) and in New York (NYSE: SNY).
Sanofi Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Forward-looking statements are statements that are not historical facts. These statements include projections and estimates and their underlying assumptions, statements regarding plans, objectives, intentions and expectations with respect to future financial results, events, operations, services, product development and potential, and statements regarding future performance. Forward-looking statements are generally identified by the words “expects”, “anticipates”, “believes”, “intends”, “estimates”, “plans” and similar expressions. Although Sanofi’s management believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, investors are cautioned that forward-looking information and statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties, many of which are difficult to predict and generally beyond the control of Sanofi, that could cause actual results and developments to differ materially from those expressed in, or implied or projected by, the forward-looking information and statements. These risks and uncertainties include among other things, the uncertainties inherent in research and development, future clinical data and analysis, including post marketing, decisions by regulatory authorities, such as the FDA or the EMA, regarding whether and when to approve any drug, device or biological application that may be filed for any such product candidates as well as their decisions regarding labelling and other matters that could affect the availability or commercial potential of such product candidates, the absence of guarantee that the product candidates if approved will be commercially successful, the future approval and commercial success of therapeutic alternatives, the Group’s ability to benefit from external growth opportunities, trends in exchange rates and prevailing interest rates, the impact of cost containment policies and subsequent changes thereto, the average number of shares outstanding as well as those discussed or identified in the public filings with the SEC and the AMF made by Sanofi, including those listed under “Risk Factors” and “Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements” in Sanofi’s annual report on Form 20-F for the year ended December 31, 2013. Other than as required by applicable law, Sanofi does not undertake any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking information or statements.
Genzyme Media Relations